Redmond City Landmarks
Redmond Trading Company, 7805 Leary Way NE
The Redmond Trading Company spent 47 of its 50 years in this 1908 building that now houses Half Price Books. Another noteworthy tenant was Kustom Kraft, a boat manufacturer.
The Redmond Trading Company was established by Fredrick Riel, William Howell, Charlie and Hays Huffman. It was considered the anchor store for Redmond for nearly 50 years, as well as one of the largest businesses in Redmond.
The building replaced a wood structure and was constructed in 1908.
It is made of red brick, and was the first masonry buildings in the community.
The store held multiple conveniences including a post office. Redmond’s first gasoline tank was installed on the south side of the store, facing the railroad tracks The goods sold at the Redmond Trading Company ranged from bins of dry goods and grain, hardware, and cloth. It also contained containers of dried prunes, beans, sugar, mocha, tapioca, and penny candies.
The Redmond Trading Company building has housed several commercial uses, been a warehouse, served as a food bank, and is presently Half Price Books. Today this building is a reminder of the city’s early commercial development and marks the beginning of the transition from wood to more permanent building materials and how it has grown to what it is today.