Redmond City Landmarks
Redmond Methodist Episcopal Church
First Methodist Church, 16540 NE 80th Street
This Methodist Episcopal Church was built in 1908 near the intersection of 164th Avenue NE and Redmond Way. In 1926, the community moved the building by truck to its current location to escape the growing traffic noise at the original location.
The Redmond Methodist Church was built in two phases. The first was in 1906 as a wood frame structure and the second in 1926-1927 when it was moved from its original site and enlarged by incorporating a brick building with the 1906 structure. It was originally located on what is now 164th Ave NE near Bill Browns Garage and remains the oldest surviving church in Redmond. Prior to having a church, residents held services in their homes and occasionally supported a visiting pastor.
Once built, the church received visitors from miles around. In 1926, the church was relocated to its current location at NE 80th Street on land donated by Marvin Perrigo. The present building was dedicated on March 2, 1928. Today, the original Redmond Methodist Church is used as a small chapel rather than the main sanctuary.