Justice White House

Redmond City Landmarks

Justice White House

Hotel Redmond, 7529 Leary Way NE

Justice White House

William Henry White served in the Civil War, was appointed a Washington State Supreme Court Justice, and married Emma McRedmond, the daughter of one of Redmond's first settlers, Luke McRedmond. The Whites built their home, which also served as a hotel, in 1889. The building is also remembered as the clubhouse for Redmond Golf Links, a former public golf course. 

Before Justice William Henry White became a Washington State Supreme Court Justice, he fought in the Civil War, earning the nick name “War Horse Bill.” During the 1880’s, he also fought injustice defending the rights of Chinese Laborers working on the railroad. He married Emma McRedmond, daughter of Luke McRedmond one of Redmond’s first settlers, and constructed their 14 bedroom home in 1889 called the Hotel Redmond.

The hotel was located next to the Seattle, Lakeshore & Eastern Railroad tracks and attracted many visitors. Most visitors were loggers and miners.
And as it became more popular, Hotel Redmond entertained more notable visitors such as President’s William Howard Taft and Theodore Roosevelt, William Jennings Bryan the politician and lawyer, James J. Hill the railroad magnate, and Percy Rockefeller, the nephew John D. Rockefeller the oil magnate.

After Judge White’s death in 1914, his wife Emma maintained the house as a hotel until the Great Depression forced foreclosure in 1932. It became the clubhouse for Redmond Golf Links and today it is the home of an architecture firm. The Justice White House or the Hotel Redmond is one of the oldest buildings in the city and represents how Redmond has grown and prospered in the century since its incorporation.