Redmond City Landmarks
Conrad Olson Farmstead, 18834 NE 95th Street
Now known as Conrad Olson Park, this property was part of Conrad and Anna Olson's farm established in 1905. The park is a reminder of the City's rural heritage and is part of the East Redmond Corridor Master Plan.
The Conrad Olson Farmstead is located near Bear Creek (a tributary of the Sammamish River) consisting of four buildings: a farmhouse, garage, shed, and a barn, and was built by Conrad Olson and his wife Anna. Conrad Olson was born in Norway and arrived in America in 1902. After multiple occupations which led him to America, including gold mining in Alaska, and logging, he finally settled in Redmond to work at the Peterson Sawmill. After becoming very familiar with logging practices, he decided to start his own logging business; supplying power poles to Puget Sound Power and Light.
Logging was then considered one of the family’s main sources of income.
Farming was said to be Conrad and Anna’s secondary source of income.
The farm was built of lumber from local lumber mills and was considered multipurpose; used for storage, shelter, and workspace. The first floor was devoted to milking a small number of cows, and the second story was used for hay storage. The size of the farm as well as the number of cattle the family owned determined how much money they were able to make from dairy though it is unlikely that it produced enough milk or other produce to sell on a large commercial basis.
This farmstead represents an early industry in the Redmond area and is a reminder of the city’s rural heritage as well as one of the basis from which Redmond was formed. The Conrad Olson Farm operated from 1903 until Conrad’s death in 1970 and is one of the few such historic farms remaining in the Sammamish River Valley.