Right of Way

Right-of-Way Use Permit

A Public Works Right-of-Way Permit is required for such activities as replacement of or modifications to driveways, temporary placement of industrial trash bins or moving pods, the parking of moving vans and tree trimming along the street. Public Works is responsible for plan review, permit issuance and inspection of Franchise Utility, Telecommunication and Miscellaneous construction work performed in the City rights-of-way and utility easements, as well as management of Franchise and Telecommunications Agreements.

The Right-of-Way Use Permit shall be obtained prior to construction and is in addition to any other required permits. Posting a Performance/Warranty Bond may be required. If a Bond is required, you will be notified. Links to our Bond Documents can be found at the bottom of this page.  

If work is on private property within a public easement, a Clearing and Grading Permit may be required.

What is considered the Right-of-Way?

The City owns the property under, on and above the roadways and sidewalks, usually extending 10 to 20 feet beyond the roadway pavement. The right-of-way may include the roadway, curb, gutter, sidewalks, vegetation, sewer/water/storm lines, telephone, power and other utility infrastructure.

What is the cost?

See the current Right-of-Way Use Permit Fee Schedule (as of February 1, 2019).

What is the length of time to obtain a permit?

Allow two weeks for review after a complete submittal package is accepted.

What is the submittal process?

See Permit Application Submittal Requirements for further information

Required documents for submittal process:

  • An Application, completed and signed Right-of-Way Use Permit Application
  • A Site Plan drawn to scale (see Permit Application Submittal Requirements under 'Other Documents' below)
  • A Traffic Control Plan (MUTCD, Part IV – see Permit Application Submittal Requirements under 'Other Documents' below)
  • Any Other Associated Documents

These documents shall be named as shown above in BOLD and shall be submitted as PDF attachments to the email address below:

  • ROWpermit@redmond.gov   or
  • Hard Copies Mailed to:
    City of Redmond
    Construction Engineering/Inspection
    15670 NE 85th Street, 1NPW
    Redmond, WA 98052
    Attn: Right-of-Way Use Permit    

Once you have submitted application documents, access our electronic permitting system, E-Track Portal to register for an account.

When your application is approved, you will receive an email notification with information regarding your invoice(s). If a Bond is required, the amount will be included in the email along with a choice of Bond documents to use.

Other Documents that may be helpful:

Questions:  Call 425-556-2723  or rowpermit@redmond.gov