Commercial Exterior Alteration

What is it?

You need a Commercial Exterior Alteration Permit to provide any exterior changes to an existing building. This permit can also include interior tenant work or remodel work, whether it is for a commercial or industrial building. If the valuation of construction is over $50,000, then you may be required to submit for an Administrative Modification Approval though the land use process.
Examples of common change of use projects are; changing a roll up door into a storefront window/door, adding a new storefront/door or replacing/changing the facade of the building.  

How Much Does it Cost?

Fees are based on the value of your project. You pay a plan review fee when you submit your plans and the rest when you pick up your permit. Use our fee estimator to estimate how much your permit will cost. See the Fee Schedule (A-Z) page to download the Commercial Fee Schedule for fee related information.

How Long Does It Take?

We try to finish our initial review of new and additions permit in 28 calendar days from submittal. How long it takes to get the final permit depends on how complex your project is and how many corrections, if any, you need to make.  

Steps to Get Your Permit

1. Research
Get your property information. Find property information to help you plan your project. Property Viewer Interactive Map
Determine restrictions to your project. Research our codes to determine what occupancies are allowed in the building and what land uses are allowed in that zoning area. Redmond Zoning Code
Find incentives for your project. Research the City’s different incentives that might apply to your project. Green Building
Determine if you need a land use permit. If your proposal exceeds $50,000, the proposal may require land use approval. Please contact the Planner On Call at 425-556-2494 or by email at to verify.
Request a Pre-Application Meeting (optional). We recommend pre-application meeting for very complex projects, including buildings with unusual structural systems, substantial alterations, or work in environmentally critical areas or shorelines. Pre-application meetings are scheduled on Thursday's. For more information see the Pre Application Conference Checklist.
2. Start Permit Application
You can apply online or an in person intake appointment.

If applying online, submit a request for a permit number and follow e-mailed instructions.

If applying in person, all submittals needs to be in electronic format. See submittal requirements for file naming conventions.
Prepare your plans. Plans should be electronic and should be to scale and easy to read.
Fill out forms:
Commercial Exterior Alteration Packet

Coordinate with other agencies. You may need permits or approvals from other agencies. These are the most common agencies you may need to work with for your permit type:

  • King County Public Health – Food Handling
  • King County DSC – Medical Facility

3. Submit Plans
To schedule an in person intake appointment you can go online, click Schedule an Appointment below or call 425-556-2493.

Tips for a Successful Intake Appointments
In either application process you will need to pay plan reviews fees. Fees are due when an application is deemed complete. The fees are calculated based on your project value.
If necessary, you may need to make corrections and resubmit your plans. Your project reviewer will send you a correction letter if changes are needed and instruction on how to upload new plans through the E-Track Portal.
4. Get Permit
Pick up or print permit. You will be contacted when your plans are approved. You can pick up your permit and approved plans at the Development Service Center with a blank USB drive or log into the E-Track Portal, where you can print your permit and approved plans.
Pay fees. You will need to pay all outstanding fees to pick up or print your permit.
Get related permits. You may need to get additional permits or approvals from other departments.

5. Schedule Inspection
Request an inspection.  See the E-Track Portal page to schedule an inspection online or call at 425-556-2435 and use the the pin number on the permit to request an inspection. A Final inspection needs to be requested and approved to complete the inspection process.
6. Complete Project
If applicable, receive your Certificate of Occupancy.  You will need a Certificate of Occupancy if you have changed the use, construction type or occupancy of an existing space and/or building.
Close your permit. Your permit information will be archived in our electronic document management system.