What types of businesses need to have a business license?
All entities engaged in business within the Redmond City limits, including those physically located in commercial or in-home locations inside the City limits, those coming inside City limits to perform work, and those who earn money without a physical presence by providing services, such as telecommunications. Exceptions to this are:

  • Governmental entities
  • Farmers, gardeners, or other persons who sell and deliver self-grown produce
  • Residential rental or leasing of four or less units
  • Insurers or their agents who represent their own brand of insurance
  • Newspaper carriers under the age of 18
  • Businesses exempt by state or federal law

All nonprofit businesses are required to obtain a business license. Those providing proof of their IRS 501(c)(3) Federal Tax Exemption Status will be exempt from the license fee.
How long is the license in effect?
All business licenses expire December 31 of each calendar year and must be renewed by February 15 if business will continue in Redmond.
Can I assume the former owner's license?
No, business licenses are nontransferable. A new owner must apply for a new business license.
How soon will I get my license?
If your business is located outside the Redmond City limits, the license can be issued the next business day provided all state licensing is in place. License applications for businesses within the Redmond City limits usually take 5 business days to be approved and issued.

What happens if I move my business to a new location?

  • If your business is located outside the Redmond City limits and is moving to a new location outside the Redmond City limits, please notify us of the change at businesslicense@redmond.gov.  Please reference your existing Business License number.  
  • If your business is located inside the Redmond City limits and you are moving to a new location, building, or suite inside Redmond, you will need to submit a new business license application for the new location. For a new license, go to the Citizen Service online system, find the link for “Apply for a License”, then move through those steps. 

What happens if I add another location within the Redmond City limits?
You will need to submit a new business license application for the new location. For a new license, go to the Citizen Service online system, find the link for "Apply for a License", then move through those steps. 

When is a business license denied?
In most cases, a business license is denied because of zoning or other code violations on the premises.  A business license can also be denied because of legal violations or indebtedness to the City.

What are the funds collected from Business Licensing used for?
Sixty-one percent of the business license fees collected is earmarked for improvements to the City's transportation infrastructure that increase overall business access and mobility. To date, the money collected has helped fund many projects. The balance of collected fees contribute towards maintaining and enhancing the City's transportation level-of-service.
How do outside contractors and consultants determine the license fee?
For new applications, estimate the maximum number of employee hours expected to be worked in the City during the current calendar year.  Once there is an established calendar year of history in Redmond, the fee is calculated based on the total number of hours worked in the previous calendar year.

There is a minimum license fee of $112.00, which covers up to 1,920 hours worked in the City.
When there are no employees actually working in the City, as is the case with telecommunications providers, how is the fee determined?
If you do not have any employees actually working in the City, the minimum license fee of $112.00 would apply.
Does the City of Redmond charge quarterly taxes on incomes?
The City of Redmond does not charge a business and occupation (B&O) tax. The City does charge admissions taxes, gambling taxes, and occupational utility taxes on applicable businesses. For more information on City of Redmond taxes, see Taxes and Fees.

What if I'm not able to use the online system?
Contact the City of Redmond for assistance, and you may need access to one of the applications linked below.

Businesses Located Outside City Limits

In City Commercial Business

Home Based Business

Can't Find What You Are Looking For?

Contact Us

Ph. 425-556-2193
Fax 425-556-2260


Redmond City Hall
15670 NE 85th Street, 1st Floor - Customer Service Center


Monday - Friday
8 am - 5 pm

Mailing Address

Customer Service Department, 1SCS
15670 NE 85th Street
PO Box 97010
Redmond, WA 98073-9710

Payment Options

MasterCard, Visa, cash, or check payable to "City of Redmond"